Are you a motivated developer who’s in the beginning of their career and looking for a place to gain experience from real-life projects? We’re hiring enthusiastic learners to join our development teams in Tampere for summer. (if Tampere is not your thing, you can check out our summer jobs in Helsinki and Turku instead) The application period ends on Jan 23, 2022.
What we’re looking for
We don’t expect you to excel in everything before joining us, but we do call for eagerness and the ability to learn new things. You can compile your application the way you want, but one thing we require from all applicants along with a CV is:
- Solution to our pre-assignment or a project to showcase your skills in writing readable and well-structured code. Our pre-assignment is tailor-made for this purpose, and we encourage you to do it. A hobby/work project in a publicly available repository can also do the job if you believe it demonstrates your skills adequately.
You’ll have a head start in our projects, and therefore, an advantage in the recruitment process if you:
- Know at least one programming language/stack well. Knowing more languages with different abstraction levels and paradigms will come in handy.
- Are familiar with web stack (frontend+backend tech, communication protocols, relational databases, etc.). Most of our client projects have aspects involving the web, and thus, knowing the web stack will help you.
- Have previous experience in teamwork with good development practices (e.g. code reviews) and in using Git. As a summer trainee, you’ll be working as part of one of our development teams, so knowing good development practices is a plus.
- Make it through the day in English and/or Finnish. The working language in all of our projects is one or the other. When working with our clients in Finland, Finnish is an advantage but not a strict requirement.
- Are located in or able to move to the Tampere area. If the covid situation requires, the work will start remotely but we will move to the office once it’s safe. In addition, note you must have a valid working permit in Finland beforehand. Reaktor is not currently able to provide visa sponsorships, so, unfortunately, we can't consider applications from outside EU/EEA
If you don’t check every box on the list, don’t worry. We’re seeking potential, not ready-made professionals.
What we offer
Meaningful projects that solve real-life problems. You’ll be spending your trainee period as a part of one of our development teams, working with our leading experts, building solutions that solve actual business or societal challenges.
- A passionate community of experts to join. As a Reaktorian, you’ll have talented and experienced colleagues around you, ready to help you whenever you need it.
- A workplace where you can feel at home. We’re not looking to hire your work-self, but the person you are as a whole. At Reaktor, we let you be the same person at work as at home.
- A paid trainee period that is not all about work. We Reaktorians take our work seriously, but we also like to have fun. Thus, we’re having regular team days and doing non work-related activities together.
- Office and team like no other. One of our Tampere team’s biggest selling point is that they are like a small entity, nestled safely in a big company's arms. In our Tampere office, you'll have the opportunity to see multinational projects, work across borders and get help from any of your 600+ colleagues. But you also have a tight-knit Tampere team of 27 amazing talents working with you and offering lunch, party or sauna company when you need it.
How to apply
We’re eagerly waiting for your application! The application period ends on Jan 23, 2022. Make sure we receive your application with a CV and code sample by then.
Here’s a checklist you can follow to ensure you’ve sent us all the relevant materials. You’re all good if your application includes:
- A link to your pre-assignment solution on GitHub or similar. Your code sample is often the first thing we look at in an application, so make sure it represents your current coding skills.
- A cover letter in which you tell us about yourself and why you would like to work at Reaktor. There’s no need to be formal here. We appreciate seeing your personality through the letter.
- A CV or a link to your LinkedIn profile that we can see what you’ve done previously. We’re not only after people with tons of work experience under their belt. We’re also interested in development experience gathered from hobby projects or studies.
- Preferred starting date for the summer trainee period. Would you like to start your trainee period in April, May or June? Tick the box below of the most suitable timing for you.
Voit halutessasi lähettää työhakemuksesi meille myös suomeksi.
What happens after you hit “Apply”
Finally, here is what to expect when hitting apply (or technically submit):
🕵️ We’ll go through all the applications once a week (starting on the second week of December ). We’re responding to all the applicants individually, so it might take a little while before we get to your application but you’ll definitely hear from us.
✉️ After reviewing your application, if we think that you’d be a good fit for Reaktor, we’ll invite you to an interview. If we feel like this is not yet a good time to start our journey together, we’ll let you know the reasons behind our decision.
👋 Our interview process includes two rounds, both with your potential future team members. You can read our previous junior employees’ comments about the interviews on our blog.
📅 We’ll make the hiring decision after the second interview. Sometimes, we’re able to do that soon after but since our project situation is in on-going flux, sometimes it’ll take us a little longer to evaluate the situation.
Want to know more?
If you’d like to know more about what it’s like to be a trainee at Reaktor, you can turn to the most reliable source there is: our previous junior employees. Many of them are sharing their experiences on our blog:
- Kerkko and Riku worked with us in 2020, and in our blog, share their insight on what steps does the Reaktor trainee journey include
- Riku and Samuli spent their summer in 2020 building an integration layer for one of our clients and documented their experiences on our blog
- Anna and Joona spent their summer in 2019 with us, and in our blog, they talk about their non-existing typical workday
If you got interested in working with us at Reaktor, we recommend you also check our other open positions. We’re constantly looking for talents globally, and even if there are no open positions at the moment, we’ll gladly read and consider open applications.
Developer, summer 2022 Turku
Developer, summer 2022
Designer, summer 2022
Careers at Reaktor
We are a strategy, design, and technology partner for forward-thinking companies and societies. Our unmatched execution capability is founded in superior technological skills and strong maker culture. If you want to know more about our way of working and culture, read more in the link below.