Developer, fall 2021
Are you a motivated junior developer who’s looking for a place to gain experience from real-life projects? We’re hiring enthusiastic learners to join our development teams in Helsinki for a 4-6 month paid trainee period starting on October 4th.
Applications are open until Sunday, August 15.
What we’re looking for
We don’t expect you to excel in everything before joining us, but we do call for eagerness and the ability to learn new things. You can compile your application the way you want, but one thing we require from all applicants along with a CV is:
- A project to showcase your skills in writing readable and well-structured code. Our pre-assignment is tailor-made for this purpose, and we encourage you to do it. A hobby/work project in a publicly available repository can also do the job if you believe it demonstrates your skills adequately.
You’ll have a head start in our projects, and therefore, an advantage in the recruitment process if you:
- Know at least one programming language/stack well. Knowing more languages with different abstraction levels and paradigms will come in handy.
- Are familiar with a web stack. Most of our client projects have aspects involving the web, and thus, understanding the fundamentals of web development (protocols, standards, security, conventions, relational databases) and mastering at least one stack of tools (frontend+backend) will help you.
- Have previous experience in teamwork with good development practices (e.g. code reviews) and in using Git. As a junior employee, you’ll be working as part of one of our development teams, so knowing good development practices is a plus.
- Make it through the day in English and/or Finnish. The working language in all of our projects is one or the other. When working with our clients in Finland, Finnish is an advantage but not a strict requirement.
- Are located in or able to move to the Helsinki capital area. If the situation requires, the work will start remotely but will move to the office once it’s safe. Unfortunately, we’re unable to offer assistance for relocation in our junior positions.
If you don’t check every box on the list, don’t worry. We’re seeking potential, not ready-made professionals.
What we offer
- Meaningful projects that solve real-life problems. You’ll be spending your trainee period in one of our development teams, working with our leading experts, building solutions that solve actual business or societal challenges.
- A passionate community of experts to join. As a Reaktorian, you’ll have talented and experienced colleagues around you, ready to help you whenever you need it.
- A workplace where you can feel at home. We’re not looking to hire your work-self, but the person you are as a whole. At Reaktor, we let you be the same person at work as at home.
- A paid trainee period that is not all about work. We Reaktorians take our work seriously, but we also like to have fun. Thus, we’re having regular team days and doing non-work-related activities together.
How to apply
We’re eagerly waiting for your application! The application period ends on Sunday August, 15. Make sure we receive your application with a CV and code sample by then.
Here’s a checklist you can follow to ensure you’ve sent us all the relevant materials. You’re all good if your application includes:
- A link to your pre-assignment solution on GitHub or similar. Your code sample is often the first thing we look at in an application, so make sure it represents your current coding skills.
- A cover letter in which you tell us about yourself and why you would like to work at Reaktor. There’s no need to be formal here. We appreciate seeing your personality through the letter.
- A CV or a link to your LinkedIn profile that we can see what you’ve done previously. We’re not only after people with tons of work experience under their belt. We’re also interested in development experience gathered from hobby projects or studies.
Voit halutessasi lähettää työhakemuksesi meille myös suomeksi.
What happens after you hit “Apply”
Finally, here is what to expect when hitting apply:
🕵️ We’ll go actively through the applications already during the application period. We’re responding to all applications individually, so it might take a little while before we get to yours but you’ll hear from us by the end of August.
✉️ After reviewing your application, we'll either invite you to an interview or let you know the reason why we think that it's not yet a good time to start our journey together.
👋 Our interview process includes two rounds, both with your potential future team members. You can read our previous junior employees’ comments about the interviews on our blog.
📅 We’ll make the hiring decision after the second interview. Sometimes, we’re able to make the decision soon after the interview but since our project situation is in ongoing flux, sometimes it’ll take us a little longer to evaluate the situation. All hiring decisions are made by the end of September. The exact duration (4-6 months) of your trainee period can be agreed on in the second interview.
If you got interested in working with us at Reaktor, we recommend you also check our other open positions. We’re constantly looking for talents globally, and even if there are no open positions at the moment, we’ll gladly read and consider open applications.
Careers at Reaktor
We are a strategy, design, and technology partner for forward-thinking companies and societies. Our unmatched execution capability is founded in superior technological skills and strong maker culture. If you want to know more about our way of working and culture, read more in the link below.