Are you an enthusiastic UX, service or visual designer who’s looking for a place to put your digital design skills to good use and learn new skills? We’re looking to hire design trainees to work as team members in our digital product creation teams. Together with your team, you’ll be designing and implementing fluent user experiences and desirable services, and validating designs as early as possible.
What we’re looking for
We’re seeking potential, not ready-made experts. Therefore, we don’t expect you to know everything when joining us. However, we do call for eagerness and ability to learn new things and work in a team.
As a design trainee you:
- Have some previous experience with designing for the digital domain. Work experience is great, but also school and hobby projects are good references.
- Have a strong interest in and ability to solve problems and create designs for digital services.
- Are comfortable choosing your design tools depending on the context, whether it’s pen and paper, Figma, or something else.
- Are able to communicate and validate your design decisions.
- Make it through the day in English and/or Finnish. The working language in all of our projects is one or the other.
- Are located in or able to move to the Helsinki capital area. If the covid situation requires, the work will start remotely but we will move to the office once it’s safe. In addition, note you must have a valid working permit in Finland beforehand. Reaktor is not currently able to provide visa sponsorships, so, unfortunately, we can't consider applications from outside EU/EEA
What we offer
- Meaningful projects and learning experiences. You’ll be spending your trainee period with one of our teams solving real-life problems working with our leading experts, building solutions that solve actual business or societal challenges. If you’re wondering what project work is like, let Anna, our previous summer designer, offer some insight on that.
- A passionate community of experts as your colleagues. As a Reaktorian, you’ll have talented and experienced colleagues around you, ready to help you whenever you need it.
- A named mentor, with whom you can discuss and reflect on learning.
- A workplace where you can feel like home. We’re not looking to hire your work-self, but we’re looking to hire you as a whole and let you be the same person at work as at home.
- A summer that is not all about work. We Reaktorians take our work seriously, but we also like to have fun, which is why we’re having regular team days and doing non-work-related activities together (Covid safety considered, of course).
How to apply
We’re excited that you’re planning on applying! Send us your application, CV, and a pre-assignment by Jan 23, 2022 using the form below!
Here’s a checklist you can follow to ensure you’ve sent us all the relevant materials. You’re all good if your application includes:
- A cover letter in which you tell us about yourself and why you would like to work at Reaktor. There’s no need to be formal here. We appreciate seeing your personality through the letter.
- Your solution to our pre-assignment. By looking at your pre-assignment work, we’d like to get a glimpse of who you are as a designer and understand the thinking behind your work on it. Choose the assignment that fits your profile
- A CV or a link to your LinkedIn profile in which we can see what you’ve done before. Feel free to send or add a link to your portfolio as well, if you have one.
- Preferred starting date for the summer trainee period. Would you like to start your trainee period in April, May or June? Tick the box below of the most suitable timing for you.
Voit halutessasi lähettää kesätyöhakemuksesi meille myös suomeksi.
What happens after you hit “Apply”
Finally, here is what to expect when hitting apply (or technically submit):
🕵️ We’ll go through all the applications weekly. After reading through the applications, we respond to all the applicants individually, so it might take a little while before we get to your application, but we will. Please note that we will go through individual applications once, so make sure you include all the design work you’d like us to see in your application, when submitting your attachments.
✉️ After reviewing your application, if we think that you’d be a good fit for Reaktor, we’ll invite you to an interview. If we feel like this is not yet a good time to start our journey together, we’ll let you know the reasons behind our decision.
👋 Our interview process includes two rounds with your potential future team members. You can read our previous junior employees’ comments about the interviews on our blog.
📅 First-round interviews are carried out in January-February.
Want to know more?
If you’d like to know more about what it’s like to be a trainee at Reaktor, you can turn to the most reliable source there is: our previous junior employees. Six of them are sharing their experiences on our blog:
- Anna and Joona worked with us last summer, and now they’re talking about their non-existing typical workday
- Mira and Minna, two of our 2018 summer employees, share their tips on landing a junior job with us
- “I was expecting to be ‘just’ a coder” – Riku and Samuli’s summer in the Forum Virium Helsinki project
Have a look at our tips for Making the most out of design assignments in recruitment as well!
Have a question? Check out our frequently asked questions and answers.
If you got interested in working with us at Reaktor, we recommend you also check our other open positions. We’re constantly looking for talents globally, and even if there are no open positions at the moment, we’ll gladly read and consider open applications.
Developer, summer 2022 Turku
Developer, summer 2022 Tampere
Developer, summer 2022
Careers at Reaktor
We are a strategy, design, and technology partner for forward-thinking companies and societies. Our unmatched execution capability is founded in superior technological skills and strong maker culture. If you want to know more about our way of working and culture, read more in the link below.