Designer, summer 2021
Are you an enthusiastic UX, service or visual designer who’s looking for a place to put your digital design skills to good use and learn new skills? We’re looking to hire summer designers to work as team members in our digital product creation teams in the Helsinki capital area.
Together with your team, you’ll be designing and implementing fluent user experiences and desirable services, and validating designs as early as possible. The application period ends on Feb 28, 2021.
What we’re looking for
We’re seeking potential, not ready-made experts. Therefore, we don’t expect you to know everything when joining us. However, we do call for eagerness and ability to learn new things and work in a team.
As a summer designer you:
- Have some previous experience with the digital domain. Work experience is great, but you can also use school or hobby projects as a reference in your portfolio.
- Have a strong interest in and ability to solve problems and create designs for the digital domain.
- Are comfortable choosing your design tools depending on the context, whether it’s pen and paper, Sketch, Figma, or something else.
- Are able to communicate and validate your design decisions.
- Make it through the day in English and/or Finnish. The working language in all of our projects is one or the other. When working with our clients in Finland, Finnish is an advantage but not a strict requirement.
- Are located in or able to move to the Helsinki capital area. If the situation requires, the work will start remotely but will move to the office once it’s safe. If you are currently outside Finland, please state in your application if you are able to work in Helsinki capital area during the summer. Unfortunately, we’re unable to offer assistance for relocation in our junior positions.
What we offer
- Meaningful projects and learning experiences. You’ll be spending your summer with one of our teams solving real-life problems working with our leading experts, building solutions that solve actual business or societal challenges. If you’re wondering what project work is like, let Anna, our previous summer designer, offer some insight on that.
- A passionate community of experts as your colleagues. As a Reaktorian, you’ll have talented and experienced colleagues around you, ready to help you whenever you need it.
- A workplace where you can feel like home. We’re not looking to hire your work-self, but we’re looking to hire you as a whole and let you be the same person at work as at home.
- A summer that is not all about work. We Reaktorians take our work seriously, but we also like to have fun, which is why we’re having regular team days and doing non-work-related activities together (Covid safety considered, of course).
How to apply
We’re excited that you’re planning on applying! Send us your application, CV, and a portfolio (or link to portfolio) by Feb 28, 2021 using the form below!
Here’s a checklist you can follow to ensure you’ve sent us all the relevant materials. You’re all good if your application includes:
- A cover letter in which you tell us about yourself and why would you like to work at Reaktor. There’s no need to be formal here. We appreciate seeing your personality through the letter.
- A CV or a link to your LinkedIn profile so that we can see what you’ve done previously. We’re not only after people with tons of work experience under their belt. We’re also interested in design experience gathered from hobby projects or studies.
- Document or a link to a portfolio showcasing your previous design work and skills. By looking at your work, we’d like to get a glimpse of who you are as a designer and understand the thinking behind your work. Also, state your role and responsibilities clearly if any of the projects involved a team effort. For tips, have a look at Krista’s blog post 10 tips for polishing your UX portfolio.
Voit halutessasi lähettää kesätyöhakemuksesi meille myös suomeksi.
What happens after you hit “Apply”
Finally, here is what to expect when hitting apply (or technically submit):
🕵️ We’ll go through all the applications weekly (starting on the second week of January). After reading through the applications, we respond to all the applicants individually, so it might take a little while before we get to your application, but we will. Please note that we will go through individual applications once, so make sure you include all the design work you’d like us to see in your portfolio, when submitting the application.
✉️ After reviewing your application, if we think that you’d be a good fit for Reaktor, we’ll invite you to an interview. If we feel like this is not yet a good time to start our journey together, we’ll let you know the reasons behind our decision.
👋 Our interview process includes two to three rounds with your potential future team members. During this process, you may be asked to complete a small assignment, which we will go through together in the interview. You can read our previous junior employees’ comments about the interviews on our blog.
📅 We have a limited amount of summer designer spots open. Thus, we're conducting interviews already during the application period but we'll most likely make the hiring decisions in March.
Want to know more?
If you’d like to know more about what it’s like to be a summer employee at Reaktor, you can turn to the most reliable source there is: our previous junior employees. Six of them are sharing their experiences on our blog:
- Kerkko and Riku worked with us in 2020, and in our blog, share their insight on what steps does the Reaktor trainee journey include
- Riku and Samuli spent their summer in 2020 building an integration layer for one of our clients and documented their experiences on our blog
- Anna and Joona spent their summer in 2019 with us, and in our blog, they talk about their non-existing typical workday
Have a question? Check out our frequently asked questions and answers.