Designer, fall 2021
Are you an enthusiastic UX, service or visual designer ready to kick-start your career in the field of digital design? For the first time ever we are looking for junior designers to join Reaktor and our digital product creation teams in the fall! The 4-6 month full-time paid trainee period will start on October 4th and is located in the Helsinki capital area.
As a junior designer you’ll join our digital product creation team and, together with your team, you’ll design and implement fluent user experiences and desirable services, and validate designs as early as possible. The application period ends on Sunday, August 15.
What we’re looking for
We’re seeking potential, not ready-made experts. Therefore, we don’t expect you to know everything when joining us. However, we do call for eagerness and ability to learn new things and work in a team.
As a junior designer you:
- Have some previous experience with the digital domain. This might include work experience or school projects.
- Have a strong interest and ability to solve problems and create designs for the digital domain.
- Are comfortable choosing your design tools depending on the context, whether it’s pen and paper, Sketch, Figma, or something else.
- Are able to communicate and validate your design decisions.
- Speak English and/or Finnish fluently. The working language in all of our projects is one or the other. When working with our clients in Finland, Finnish is an advantage but not a strict requirement.
- Are located in the Helsinki capital area or able to move there. If the situation requires, the work will start remotely but we’ll move to the office once it’s safe. If you are currently outside Finland, please clearly state that you are able to work in the Helsinki capital area during the trainee period. Without this information we’re unable to continue the recruitment process. Unfortunately, it’s not possible to join our team remotely outside the Helsinki office, and we can’t offer assistance for relocation in our junior positions either.
What we offer
- Meaningful projects and learning experiences. You’ll be spending your fall with one of our teams solving real-life problems, working with our leading experts and building solutions that solve actual business or societal challenges. If you’re wondering what project work looks like, let Anna, our previous summer designer, offer some insight on that.
- A passionate community of experts as your colleagues. As a Reaktorian, you’ll have talented and experienced colleagues around you, ready to help you whenever you need it.
- A workplace where you can feel like home. We’re not looking to hire your work-self, but we’re looking to hire you as a whole and let you be the same person at work as at home.
- A traineeship that is not all about work. We Reaktorians take our work seriously, but we also like to have fun, which is why we’re having regular team days and doing non-work-related activities together (Covid safety considered, of course).
How to apply
We’re excited that you’re interested in applying, and we’re looking forward to your application! Send us your CV and cover letter as well as your solution to our pre-assignment. Send us your application by Sunday, August 15 via the form below.
Here’s a checklist you can follow to ensure you’ve sent us all the relevant materials. You’re all good if your application includes:
- A cover letter in which you tell us about yourself, why you’d be excited to join Reaktor and what you’d like to learn as a junior designer. We appreciate seeing your personality through the letter, and are interested in hearing more about your motivation towards the junior designer role and working at Reaktor.
- A CV or a link to your LinkedIn profile so that we can learn more about your skills and experience. We’re not only after people with tons of work experience, and we’re also interested in design experience gained in hobby projects or studies.
- Your solution to our pre-assignment. You can send us a link to your solution or add it as an attachment (PDF or other format). The solution to the pre-assignment is a requirement, and without it we can't take your application into consideration.
In addition, you can also send us a link to your portfolio or attach it as a file, if you feel like it demonstrates your skills and gives us an understanding of you as a designer. We will focus on evaluating the pre-assignments, but want you to have a chance to highlight the cases in your portfolio as well. In case you add a portfolio to your application, please point us to the 1-2 cases you’d like us to take a look at. We accept the maximum of 5 attachments via our application form. Please contact email@example.com if you have any problems sending your application.
Voit halutessasi lähettää hakemuksesi meille myös suomeksi.
What happens after you hit “Apply”
Finally, here is what to expect when hitting apply (or technically submit):
🕵️ We start going through the applications during the summer, but get back to you at the end of August at the latest. After reading through the applications, we respond to all the applicants individually, and it might take a little while before we get to your application. Please note that we will go through individual applications once, so make sure you include all the design work you’d like us to see in your portfolio, when submitting the application.
✉️ If we think you’d be a good fit for Reaktor, we’ll invite you to an interview. If we feel like this is not yet a good time to start our journey together, we’ll let you know the reasons behind our decision.
👋 Our interview process includes two rounds with your potential future team members. You can read our previous junior employees’ comments about the interviews on our blog.
📅 We have a limited amount of junior designer spots open. We're conducting interviews already during the application period but we'll most likely make the hiring decisions during the first weeks of September.
Want to know more?
If you’d like to know more about what it’s like to work as a junior designer at Reaktor, you can turn to the most reliable source there is: our previous junior employees. Six of them are sharing their experiences on our blog:
- Kerkko and Riku worked with us in 2020, and in our blog, share their insight on what steps does the Reaktor trainee journey include
- Riku and Samuli spent their summer in 2020 building an integration layer for one of our clients and documented their experiences on our blog
- Anna and Joona spent their summer in 2019 with us, and in our blog, they talk about their non-existing typical workday
Have a question? Check out our frequently asked questions and answers.
If you got interested in working with us at Reaktor, we recommend you also check our other open positions. We’re constantly looking for talents globally, and even if there are no open positions at the moment, we’ll gladly read and consider open applications.
Careers at Reaktor
We are a strategy, design, and technology partner for forward-thinking companies and societies. Our unmatched execution capability is founded in superior technological skills and strong maker culture. If you want to know more about our way of working and culture, read more in the link below.